Thursday, May 21, 2015

Taco Dinner

For dinner last night I made chicken tacos with rice and beans.


This was a really simple dinner. I cooked the chicken in my crock pot, chicken comes out much more juicy and tender than if I boil it on the stove. After it has cooked I shred it and put it in pan with fajita seasoning, I personally prefer the taste of the fajita seasoning compared to the taco seasoning. I make my own pinto beans, this is a huge savings, and to my rice I add onion, bell peppers and tomato sauce.

The cost of the chicken was $5 for 2 chicken breast (skin and bones) - purchased at Lucky's during their for 5/ $5 deal, I stock up on meats when this deal is going on. I purchase my rice and beans from Costco, a 25 lb bag of rice costs $9.49 and the 25 lb of beans is $14.99. This past year I have gone through 2 bags rice and one bag of beans.

If you were to purchase a pound of beans a week, at Safeway it costs $1.49 you would end up spending $77.48 on beans for the year. You are saving $62.49 on beans each year.

As for the rice, you can buy a 2lb bag for $3.69 (if not on sale), you would spend $191.88 a year for rice. I don't even think I need to do the math on this one, but you are saving $182.39. But, I bought 2 bags of rice from Costco, so I saved $172.90.

Corn Tortillas cost $3.19/ 50 count

I make rice at least 2 to 3 times a week.

In case you are wondering, I do not only buy rice and beans from Costco. I like to purchase tortillas and bread. When I do go to Costco I also purchase lettuce, it is the best deal. FYI, if you do not have a Costco card, you can always ask someone who does to purchase you a gift card. You do not have to be a member to use their gift cards. Or you can purchase these items at Smart & Final, they both cost a little bit more, but still a huge yearly saving.

Chicken - $5
2 cups of rice - $0.38
2 cups of beans - $0.60
tomato sauce - $0.43
2 tomatoes - $0.40 (purchased at Grocery Outlet 5/ $1)
9 tortillas - $0.63
Total - $7.44 to feed 6 people

I will round it off to $10 since I do not remember how much the cheese, bell peppers, onion or fajita seasoning cost.

I almost forgot to mention that there was left overs. I was able to make lunch for my husband to take to work. I still have some chicken left over that I use to make some flautas (taquitos).

No comments:

Post a Comment